I just pretend that Fritos are as good as Wampums, after all, its all we have left. ~ nitrogen gas Growing up, he attended Erwin Street Elementary School in Van Nuys, California. They were the best. Once in awhile, I'll buy a bag of Fritos or other brand, hoping for the taste I remember, but no luck. All Tires Buy Tires & Schedule Installation at an Auto Care Center Car Tires SUV Tires Truck Tires Commercial Truck Tires Motorcycle Tires Performance Tires Specialty Tires Get Tires at an Auto Care . It seems like a natural thing. Find out DETAILS Credit: Archive Films Where was Laura Scudders potato chip factory located? This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. 5 Is Laura Scudders peanut butter healthy? An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. . I had a recipe once for baked BBQ chicken using the crushed Wampums and sour cream. Item model number : VI-J4ZV-T0CF. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. She started her own food company in Monterey Park, California, where she began making potato chips. In a series of television commercials first aired in the 1960s, the companys spokesperson, who self-identified as Granny Goose, was portrayed by actor Philip Carey as an ultra-masculine tough guy, depicted in the commercials as such manly stereotypes as a cowboy or a James Bond-style spy. google_alternate_color = "E7F0EB"; 4 Do they still make Granny Goose potato chips? She opened a restaurant across from the Mendocino County Courthouse, where lawyers encouraged her to study law. Snack food giant Borden is biting into the lucrative California munchies market by purchasing Laura Scudders, an Anaheim firm best known for its potato chips and natural peanut butter, for an estimated $100 million. I was so upset I even wrote the company. Lay's potato chips became the first American brand to successfully market. In the 20th century, potato chips spread beyond chef-cooked restaurant fare and began to be mass-produced for home consumption. Borden Buys Laura Scudder to Get Bite of State Market. wish i had a bag right now to munch on, as i remember they were a little bit above the standard of corn chips. Lay and Company, which merged with The Frito Company in 1961 to create Frito-Lay. We had such good things back then. It was purchased in May by Oregons Snack Alliance. And no, I'm not a shill for Trader Joe's! I am Latin and thus part Indian and in no way was I offended my the caricature. We lived in San Bernardino in the 60s and 70s, and I have always remembered the taste, and part of the commercial for Wampum Corn Chips. Who cares what they call it, just make them like before and I'll find a way to buy them! Corn Chips Potato Chips Retro Recipes Vintage Recipes Miss The Old Days Lahr died in 1967, but this marvellous commercial, along with the others he did in the series, live on. so i did a search for the wampums, lived in alameda,ca bay area, i remember those were so so good, i would buy a bay and enjoy those soooo muchhhh. Chief say, study-um lessons hard, get-um smart like teacher. In 2009, Snack Alliance, Inc. licensed the rights to produce Potato Chips under the Laura Scudder's brand. According to snackhistory.com, Takis is said to have been invented by someone named Morgan Sanchez, although there is little online to confirm the claim. To further insure purification, the oil is passed through a filtration system daily. - SC 14D1 - Borden Chemical Inc - On 11/22/94 - EX-11. google_color_link = "A74403"; google_ad_width = 120; Good Times that I'll never forget! Company: Grande Foods. Yes, they were a bit salty, but the flavoring was literally mouth watering for a basic 'snack'. (G)(15)", "Borden Chemical Inc - 10-Q - For 6/30/94", "Shearer's Foods, Inc. Acquires Snack Alliance, Inc", "Newport man makes documentary about grandmother, potato chip maker Laura Scudder", "Finding Aid for the Laura Scudder Papers 2010.10.r", "Laura Scudder Women's Studies Scholarship", "Laura Scudder Scholarship Application - Due May 1", "Oral history program: Robert Brackenbury", "Nursing Students Win Scudder Scholarships", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Laura_Scudder&oldid=1095377357, Articles with dead external links from June 2022, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from June 2022, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 28 June 2022, at 01:10. The Scudders lived in La Habra Heights Laura Scudder tended a victory garden and wrote a newspaper column. What is causing the plague in Thebes and how can it be fixed? That's because she cared! 3 One of my favorite snacks as a kid was Wampum Chips (pref. 8 Where did Laura Clough and Charles Scudder live? I wouldn't be surprised if they're from the same source. At the time, potato chips . 1. I would almost beat someone for a bag of those. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. The following are links about Wampum Corn Chips you may find interesting. The Laura Scudder Potato Chip Factory was at Garvey Avenue east of Atlantic Boulevard, Monterey Park in the 1920s. That same year, Snak King acquired Granny Goose's corn chip, tortilla chip, popcorn, potato chip and extruded snack lines.[2]. I'd buy them by the case! I'm going to write to Laura Scudder's and beg them to start making them again. Laura Scudder's Ranch Dip Mix, 0.5 oz. Thus, forever changing the way potato chips were sold. Charles Scudder. Herman W. Lay. Yes, Wampums were better than the Fritos. A longtime California favorite, the Laura Scudder's brand was founded by an attorney of the same name in the Los Angeles County community of Monterey Park back in 1926. For Laura Scudder, the recipe for success was simple - it takes great people to make great potato chips!" Online store: Buy potato chips on Amazon #ad . They were great, much better than anything on the market today. Id pay $20 for a small bag right now. google_ad_channel = "9301152533"; Laura Scudder All Natural Smooth Peanut Butter - 16oz Laura Scudder 78 SNAP EBT eligible $3.89 When purchased online Laura Scudder Nutty Natural Peanut Butter - 16oz Laura Scudder 53 SNAP EBT eligible $3.89 When purchased online Laura Scudder Natural Creamy Peanut Butter - 26oz Laura Scudder 66 SNAP EBT eligible $5.49 When purchased online SEALRIGHT PACKAGING AD FEATURING NOEL'S POTATO CHIPS SEALRIGHT was a Phillips 66 company . Our mobile site works way better when you have JavaScript enabled. There are more as well. google_ad_client = "pub-1475700848612418"; Don was a commercial artist for many years working mostly in advertising. We use it in a variety of ways, including salad dressing and seasoning our rice,, No mames gey (no -mah-mess-goo-ee) and no mames wey (no -mah-mess-goo-ee), both of which roughly mean No way, dude! Wey and gey are two Spanish, Steps to Remove the Marks: Soak the scorch mark in cold water for at least 24 hours if its fresh. Having dedicated her life to her enterprise, Laura Scudder died two years after relinquishing her company. There was a court case, which adds nothing to this story, so we will finish there. You could SEE the product. You are in luck! After moving to Monterey Park, California, she started her food company, Laura Scudders, in 1926. Wish we could buy them somewhere today. Laura Scudder Nutty Natural Peanut Butter: Laura Scudders natural peanut butter is a great option with no added sugar or trans fats. [3], Its logo and mascot, also named Granny Goose, is an anthropomorphic cartoon goose. A neighbor who lived on our street in Whittier, CA, named Don White created the character image of Chief Wampum. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. Part of the bag/packaging was clear/see-through. Daisy's were really good too! Lays Potato Chip Lionel Messi G.O.A.T. Where did Laura Clough and Charles Scudder live? UPC : 015500181500 015500183689. Lays The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". Salvo Machinery Featuring Laura Scudder's Chips A vintage ad for Salvo, once again using an industry leader to promote business. Today's potato chips production. However, at around the same time, The Laura Scudders Company, LLC. Laura Scudder is bought by Borden Borden to get a taste of the state market. ~~ Thanks for watching! Picking up In-store pickup, ready within 2 hours Same Day Delivery Scheduled contactless delivery as soon as today Shipping Free with RedCard or $35 orders * * Exclusions Apply. To the left of the text field, tap the A (Apps), The best Gardettos, as you can see from the scientific study above, are the little brown discs, which are officially known as rye chips but, Chipotle uses rice bran oil as our primary cooking oil. They were my favorite chip and I wish they were still being made. What is the oldest brand of potato chips? Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. He died on October 8, 2016 in Burbank, California, USA. [citation needed] In 2008, Universal Robina Corporation acquired the Granny Goose snack business of GMC. i believethat wampum corn chips were made by the laura scudders chip company in the 70's.--anybody remember bireley's orange soda? Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. And how about Par-T-Pak soda? 10 4.3 out of 5 Stars. His first acting job ever was for a Laura Scudder potato chip commercial. Growing up in Santa Barbara in the 70's, our mom would buy the variety pack of chips that we'd take in our lunches. Do you need underlay for laminate flooring on concrete? QuickTime 8-bit Photo-JPEG SD 720x576 25p. Today's corn chips are ok, but nothing like Wampum's! In December of 1994, the company was acquired by the J.M. I grew up in Downey and also loved the Regal Crown Sour candies..yum! Laura Scudder Natural Peanut Butter: Laura Scudders natural peanut butter is a delicious alternative that doesnt contain any added sugar or trans fats. Born in 1881, in Philadelphia, as Laura Clough, she was a nursing student in Trenton, N.J. Laura Clough Scudder is one of the legends of Potato Chips and Crisps. In 1993, the company acquired the Laura Scudder brand from Borden, Inc., but due to intense competition from PepsiCo's Frito-Lay and Anheuser-Busch's Eagle Snacks could not make a profit, so the entire company was put up for sale in 1995. In 1926 Laura Scudder was working in her family's chip business in Monterey Park, CA, when she more closely examined the properties of wax paper and had an idea. google_ad_format = "120x600_as"; Once a week on his payday, my Dad would bring the local daily newspaper, a couple bags of chips and a big 'glass' bottle of soda-pop. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". If you'd like to see a real vintage 1970's Wampum bag, check it out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/3493506663/ -Jason. There were 3 different snacks from that company that came out at the same time. 1960s MS Laura Scudder's Potato Chips commercial with child making pledge so he can eat chips - stock video Save PURCHASE A LICENSE Get personalized pricing by telling us when, where, and how you want to use this asset. Submit a story or info about Wampum Corn Chips,