We'll also have those extra 5.8 miles in segment 24, from Elk Park to Molas Pass. Renaissance Woman from Colorado on May 25, 2011: Very comprehensive. Might be in the area this year, there is bound to be some good geocaches out there! Which direction should we hike? We completed the trail from July 5 August 10. Durango, Colorado was founded by the Denver & Rio Grande Railway in 1880. A couple of differences. I've always wanted to take that train. For lunch I hit the southern Barbecue joint Thee Pits Again.Pork ribs, baked beans, cornbread and very British bread pudding for desert. 184Dolores, CO 81323970-882-7296, See the Colorado Trail Segment Chart: Resources by Segment, Portion of Segment 24: Elk Park to Molas Pass, There is a 1,840-foot elevation gain between Elk Park and Molas Pass. Gradients are much less steep with long lovely alpine traverses and switchbacks, rather than the NH tendency to go straight up the fall line. From online reviews I've read, I expect the rooms will be basic but clean. #16 of 151 Restaurants in Durango. Gorgeous! I'm impressed with the train track too! The ride up was a lil tough but the ride down was awesome. Wonderful lunch spot by a brook babbling through rock formations in the middle of a huge grass/ wildflower meadow. The average elevation of the Colorado Trail is over 10,300 feet and users traveling from Denver to Durango will clock 89,354 feet of elevation gain. Map & Directions Map Coordinates: 37.770467, -107.805276 Trailwork help build our trails! My husband is a train enthusiast and someday we hope to ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway train. FYI: The GPS waypoints listed in the Databook are in Lat/Long decimal degrees, NAD27 Conus datum. Distance (one-way): 12 miles Northern trailhead/minimum elevation: 10,700 feet (FR 585) Southern trailhead elevation: 11,100 feet (FR 578) Maximum elevation: 12,500 feet At a Glance General Information Directions: From Durango, CO : Take U.S. 550 30 miles north of Durango to FDR #578 and go 16 miles on this road until you reach the trailhead. I did get to see the Durango to Silverton Tourist train go by and it did look like a good ride. I'll be putting together a lens about it shortly, but if you're planning to ride in a gondola (open air) car, be sure to bring layers and maybe a blanket too. I am new to Squidoo. It's going to be an awesome trip! Life is distilled into its most basic elements. This section provided the best riding, with many short climbs and fast twisty descents. Not mind blowing but still great scenery. the terminal for the Durango-Silverton narrow gauge railroad and several of the finest restaurants and brew pubs anywhere. So definitely go prepared for anything, no matter what the time of year, especially given the high elevations along the trail, often over 11,000 feet for long stretches with no easy "out.". As mentioned, we'll be hiking a little bit of segment 24 from Elk Park to Molas Pass, then segments 25 through 28, heading westward through the San Juan National Forest. The Arena Media Brands, LLC and respective content providers to this website may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Remove. Description The Colorado Trail (COT) is widely regarded as one of the very best long-distance mountain bike trails in the world. And a sunny day in the valleys can be cold and wintry on the peaks. Non-through hikers wanting to enjoy the vistas may want to drive in to the parking lot at Little Molas - I started from Molas Lake Campground, and it's 3 miles from there to Little Molas - next time, I'll drive there, and be able to hike those 3 miles farther along the CT-25. See the most recent reviews. Out of the entire Colorado Trail, arguably the most highly-acclaimed portion is the long stretch running from the town of Silverton to the southern terminus of the trail in Durango. Brilliant. The Colorado Trail (COT) is widely regarded as one of the very best long-distance mountain bike trails in the world. Improve this listing. If you want to travel lighter, which isnt a bad idea, this would be handy. Hiked Colorado Trail Segment 28 on July 1, 2022. It was clean enough for us dirty hikers, and the shower (eventually) was hot. We took our time as we were not on a constricted time frame. Ped Detour july 7 9 detour map July 5 6 8 detour map Cimarron I 25 closures July 2016 And some things may change. Bikepacking The Colorado Trail: Silverton to Durango via segments 25, 26, 27, and 28 We have had a very wet spring you are right. People wave goodbye as the train leaves us off at Elk Park to begin our hike, just as the rain and thunder begins. 18,000) by Roadrunner, the only long distance bus in and out of town. But passengers have ample views to keep them occupied. See: A Colorado Trail Section HikeSilverton to Durango. Mostly, I just thought it would be fun that way. The final section of the Colorado Trail, running from Kennebec Pass to the trail's terminus just outside of the town of Durango, makes for an epic shuttle ride. Incredibly beautiful, there was even snow on ground!!!! Starting at the Little Molas Lake Trailhead, this segment of the Colorado Trail can be anything from a 2-mile out-and-back to a 22-mile trek. As I planned the trip, I decided I would share the information here in case it might be helpful to others who want to do this hike or maybe even assist them in planning a trek on another trail. For that reason, we'll have some additional emergency gear in the event we'd get separated. Elsie Hagley from New Zealand on August 31, 2012: Nice lens, if I was 30 years younger I would go for this. is one and the same with the Continental Divide Trail. That was easy enough! For 200 miles (or 320 km), the "C.T." Weather UV Index Tuesday 29 / 8 F Wednesday 26 / 14 F Thursday 20 / 12 F Total of 9 days on the trail. Railcar Transfer map Safety Hits Rolling Paper Welcome to Colorado paintplow.jpg Mackenzie Forrest Chat messages I-25 SB On-ramp closure 6-1-16 together we go Bondad Hill 6-9-16 Arapahoe 6-10 a Arapahoe 6-10 b Arapahoe Rd. The Route - Official Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad Train The Route The D&SNGRR travels 45.4 miles each way along the Animas River from Durango to Silverton during our summer season May through October. I have a friend who has done some of these trails (Kathryn Greeson) every encounter her on the trail? At the time of year we'll be hiking, the hostel runs $22 to $28 per person per night, including tax. This time, though, we'll pay two visits, once just before we begin our hike and then a longer stay after we're done, when we ride back on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway. After a rainy night and morning, we parked at 2nd trailhead (at switchback). The segment pages in the guidebook contain lots of detailed information that the Data Book does not. What a great way to celebrate the Fourth of July! How to Survive the West Coast Trail, Canada. Thank you for this fantastic guide to planning a Colorado Trail. Thanks for this great information. We took the trolley/bus at the first opportunity into downtown. From there, though, more bike-pushing awaited. About 13 mi from Little Molas, a waterfall is passed, in another half miles a constructed bridge crosses another one, with a site for 2-4 tents at the bridge, and 1-2 tents at a flat spot at the base of the falls, bit of a scramble to get to but worth it. 50K, 26.2M, 8M run. Day one also saw a hefty sidewall slice in one of James tires. Colorados epic Colorado Trail runs 485 miles between Waterton Canyon in southwest Denver and Durango. Running for 535 miles between Denver and Durango, the trail crosses high alpine mountain passes and drops into beautiful valleys as it traverses the most beautiful portions of the state of Colorado. James had a minor OTB but he picked himself up and rode on without much trouble. I hiked this segment on July 7, 2022. I'm a few hours away from Durango these days, but still hoping. @Ramkitten2000: how much did your backpack (with supplies) weigh? This costs money, of course. So, if we take the 2pm train from Silverton to Elk Park (wilderness access) on Saturday, June 13th, and hike to Molas Lake Campground that afternoon, we'd have six full days remaining to hike the remaining miles to Junction Creek trailhead in Durango. Through hikers intending to stop at Molas Lake should be aware that they will hike 2.5 miles from there to the "start" of CT-25. But, really, if you'd prefer to pamper yourself a bit after your backpacking trip and not be quite so close to the busy road, I definitely don't recommend this place. Spectacular views - I love this segment! As in, at least 30 degrees colder and a lot wetter. Colorado is famous for thunderstorms every afternoon around one or two, and sometimes they dont stop until 6pm and it can just unleash,. 5/29 Update: I spoke to the Forest Service today. (How nice!) I not doing another till tomorrow. Molas Pass is at 10886 but you then hike down to the Animas River and the train tracks at 8918. LGBTQ Housing Voucher Source of Income. The majority of "thru-hikers," who complete the Colorado Trail in one continuous journey, travel from east to west. The elevation of the Colorado Trail ranges from 5,280 feet at the eastern end near Denver to 13,000 feet at Silver Mesa near Durango to the west, passing through three "life zones" along the way. One of my all time favorite back packs for sure. These Action-Filled Trips Are Equal Parts Adventure and, Escape to Rocky Mountain National Park for a, Join evoTrip x CAPITA snowboards On A Ski. " Yummy and quick " 15/01/2023. We'd probably be better off waiting a week or two, but my other plans prevent us from doing that. I love your lens. Ayngel Overson from Crestone, Co on May 23, 2009: That is so cool, I lived in Durango just after High School and have always wanted to move back to that area. While pack weight is definitely a consideration, and a lighter pack makes for easier and, one might say, more enjoyable hiking, we also believe in being prepared. Segment 27: Hotel Draw Road to Cumberland Basin. Relive the Wild West on the Historic Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad!. ), After the fact: Well, you can't count on the weather. We're planning to leave our house on Friday, June 12th after Steve gets off work and drive all the way to Molas Lake Campground, which is just off Highway 550 about seven miles before the town of Silverton. Where do we access the trail at the beginning of our hike? It's not even good for cyclists. For this trip, our #1 criteria will be: hot shower! Sat: Sun: Mon: Tue: Wed: Thu: Fri: Multiple: Hide Map. Riding fully loaded bikes hugely affects the balance of the bike. This is some of the best and most remote singletrack in Colorado. We took the train from Durango to Elk Park. At 6,523 feet above sea level, it's just a few hundred feet lower than our home town of Flagstaff, and the downtown area is just about as nice as we think ours is. Steve Hume and friends head out for a multi-day adventure on the Colorado Trail. Official Website of the City of Durango Durango news, city calendar, "Discover Durango" with maps, public art, things to do, and more; Trip Advisor's Durango section With 21 hotels, 16 B&Bs, and 81 restaurantsreviews and information The problem was the people in the room next to us. Open to hikers, bikers and horseback riders, the Colorado Trail is 482 miles long, extending from Denver to Durango. Though officially full, one of the ticket officers managed to squeeze me on to the 8am train. 3-liter water bladder for extra capacity for the long, dry stretch, (1) 12-pack of Aquamira purification tablets (carried by the one who isn't carrying the filter), Nylon water tote (for carrying extra water from the source back to camp), Dental floss (long section, each person; has other uses besides teeth cleaning), Comb (share, because Steve doesn't have cooties), All Weather space blanket with grommets (just me), Nylon cord, 50 ft., carried by me for use with the emergency blanket (as a tarp) if necessary or to bear bag food or whatever else, Duct tape (wrapped around a trekking pole), Cell phone (1 each, turned off! Marathons in Colorado from Jul 8, 2023 to Jul 14, 2023. . Descend on a side trail south along the headwaters of West Willow Creek until you meet up with Forest Service Road 503, which leads into town. For more information and reservations, visit DurangoTrain.com or call: After the fact: This was fun! Mary Beth Granger from O'Fallon, Missouri, USA on May 02, 2011: This looks like a great trail for both hiking and mountain bike riding. Depending on how active you are between hikes, you may not be as trail hardy and fit when you begin each section-hike as you would if you were thru-hiking, so difficult sections -- including those at altitude -- may be even tougher. Running for 535 miles between Denver and Durango, the trail crosses high alpine mountain passes and drops into beautiful valleys as it traverses the most beautiful portions of the state of Colorado. After the fact: On that last point uh-huh! Oddly, he got a 7 mile ride with this truck driver. Of course it's majestic. , An excellent hostel having closed a couple of years ago, the cheapest room I could find was US$120. I should have left more STUFF hidden in a garbage bag.The wild flowers are shoulder high in places.I set up in a lovely spot.Failed to get the campfire going this time. It aint easy, but its worth it! I climbed as far as I could so to set myself up for the final hard climb the next day. Where will we leave our car while we're hiking? I live in Denver and we are always looking for a good spot to go hiking. On Saturday, our train doesn't leave till 2pm, so we'll have a leisurely morning and time in Silverton for lunch before we hit the trail. What started out as a fairly warm day in Durango turned rainy and very cold by the time we got halfway to Silverton. I also updated the information after the trip. But does have a gear shop (fuel) and plenty of restaurants. There are no wilderness areas near here, so you can bike the Colorado Trail all the way from here to Durango! They said that the road from the Junction Creek Trailhead to downtown Durango is narrow and not great for walking. I love them for bikepacking!. Still a day out on the trail so I cannot complain! We able to get to the very top out of Lil molas lake trail was snowed over . ), Esbit fuel tablets (so the other of us can cook a second item or heat water for drinks while the Whisperlight is in use). Sherry Venegas from La Verne, CA on June 02, 2009: This area is spectacular. Outstanding work once again! Update of 5/23/09: Well, there's no room at the hostel for that night. A brief introduction to the Colorado Trail The Colorado Trail (CT), completed in 1987, spans 567 miles through the heart of the southern Rocky Mountains. The Colorado Trail, South Topographic Map Guide has been designed as the perfect traveling companion when navigating the southern section of The Colorado Trail. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Durango Tourism Durango Hotels Durango Bed and Breakfast Durango Holiday Rentals Durango Packages Flights to Durango Durango Restaurants Durango Attractions Durango Travel Forum Durango Pictures Durango Map Durango Guide . If you've never done it, I highly recommend a ride on the DSNGR train. Change). This is now on my list of bucket list hikes (perhaps in prep to thru-hike the whole CT in the next 5 years or so). Thanks for the info! Fairly easy by Colorado standards. This video documents our journey through this majestic landscape. The hostel is also serviced by the Durango "T" public transportation. Neat miners cabin. 379 reviews. We do plan to spend the night in Durango before taking the train back to Silverton, but we don't want to spend big bucks on a hotel, so we're looking at some inexpensive options. Jan 17, 2023 - Hop aboard a coal-fired, steam-powered locomotive that travels along the same railroad tracks that miners, cowboys and the early settlers of the Old West used over a hundred years ago. Wow. At elevation it could snow on any day of the year, so be prepared for that as well. Also, cool mining ruins. Hikers are hitching back and forth the 7 miles to Molas Pass all the time. 50M trail run More Information . What I see as some of the up-sides to section-hiking are: And there are a few things that might be considered drawbacks of section-hiking: As I write this article, we're currently in the process of gathering information and making our plans, so there will be some things I'll have to add. The trail ends only three short miles from Durango's city limits, allowing easy access from town. 13.7 miles laterwe made it!! Chimney remains at the side of road #124 in excellent condition. The CT Store accepts Visa and Master Card. 11. I hiked Colorado Trail Segment 25 on July 8, 2022. To access data, select a station from the map or the drop-down menu. The first 1.5-miles are a pleasant climb up to the ridgeline, and then the next several miles are a contouring traverse of the top of the Lime Creek watershed. I found an excellent campsite hidden along the edge of the river in a Park currently under construction. Excellent info; thank you! (This tourist trap is expensive during high season.). Saturday. They rode for three days, making day 2 kind of a grind. According to theColorado Trail Foundation, mileage for those four segments is: Most people on the trail camp, and you can do that nearly anywhere you can lie down, but the meadows are preferred. And I know any kind of weather can happen at any time of year up there, so we'll go prepared for a range from warm and sunny to rain to below freezing and snow. She had a blast! Plenty of hikers use the train to get up into the San Juan's. One way scheduled trains take 3 hours The train has been running for over 120 years, yet the Durango railroad depot looks the same as when it was constructed in 1882. Though my pack felt heavy. Deb Kingsbury (author) from Flagstaff, Arizona on September 16, 2013: planning a hike this summer (2014) from Silverton to Durango! On the trail, things can be quite a bit different (and colder). Some of the steeper ascents required walking the bikes, but they got to 12,400, marking the high point of day one. (See more details below.) Local Legal Protections. Since its completion more than 30 years ago (Trail History), The Colorado Trail has become known as one of the premier long-distance trails in the country, lauded by hikers, backpackers, mountain bikers and horse riders from around the world.The CT comprises 567 miles of trail between Denver and Durango and passes through some of the most spectacular scenery in the . On our winter trips late November through early May, the train travels 26 miles each way to the wye at Cascade Station. . For the day, the group logged 28 miles and more than 3500 of climbing in 11 hours, including an arduousand soul destroying stretch at Kennebec Pass right before they ended the day at dusk. (LogOut/ Copyright 2023 Skyblue Overland, LLC. . That sounds like so much fun. Cody tried to ride up but even his skills couldnt overcome the rocky trail. Probably the hottest we got on the entire trip. I feel like I can push a gear harder in most places, he said. . Wide open ,next to trees.Early morning pictures 11,12. Thanks again! Tried to walk today from Bolam Pass direction. Always appreciate your totally thorough approach to trip planning. While that might not sound like a lot compared to Colorados numerous 14ers, this mountain is still impressive! Hiked with my daughter and son-in-law Segments 25-28 (Durango terminus) mid July. But we don't want to wait till September when we might end up doing another CT section anyway so we've chosen to go in June. Youve got all that weight behind you and its easy to go right over the bars, he said. "Be sure to plan a day excursion on the Durango & Silverton line," recommends O'Neal Smith. Steve Hume from the Hardtail Party YouTube channel joined two friends on a bikepacking trip on the Colorado Trail, riding 75 miles from Silverton to Durango. Sierra Designs Sirius III: We're two people but prefer the extra space in a 3-man tent. Box 856, Silverton, CO 81433 6226 State Hwy 110, Silverton, CO 81433 Phone: (970) 387-5706 office@silvertonmountain.com Employmentoffice@silvertonmountain.com Employment The property is located just across US 550/160 from Santa Rita park which offers miles of interconnected trails along the . Record snowfall last winter, so lots of snow remaining at the passes. Excellent, the lens is so well done, I can walk on your steps. 343 miles Distance from the CT: Approx. Day 1 was about 24 miles, day 2 was about 28 miles, and they finished on day 3 and made it to Durango. Cody rode a single-speed bike, so you might presume that he knows his way around a mountain bike. Our present itinerary brings us to Durango for the railroad trip on Saturday. Colorado's epic Colorado Trail runs 485 miles between Waterton Canyon in southwest Denver and Durango. 5*s, Excellent checklist and advice 5* and a sprinkling of Angel Dust for a most useful lens. Section-hiking requires travel to and from the trail multiple times if you do multiple sections. HubPages is a registered trademark of The Arena Platform, Inc. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. Unfortunately we only had half a day to spend there, so it was rushed. You'll need some form of transport back to your start point to pick up a vehicle, or vice versa; you'd have to ride back to the start to begin your hike after leaving a vehicle at the end. With nearly 500 miles of length from Denver Metro to Durango, it may take up to six weeks to complete its entire length. From the trailhead its another 5 miles to downtown Durango, where youll find hotels, restaurants, groceries, bars, and all that. Click photo to see hundreds more on Flickr. I should mention also that we're not "ultralight" backpackers. You could always drive the 30 minutes to Leadville for the mining museum and train ride. BEAUTIFUL (of course). Welcome to the Nature and the Outdoors Group. Enjoy it as a BIG day ride or a more relaxed bikepack over a few days. Most easily distinguished as the location of Purgatory Ski Resort and the suburb of Hermosa, this region is home to Durango's best adventures. Colorado Trail Silverton to Durango day 1, Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. Indeed, between departing from Highway 550 at Molas Pass and entering the town of Durango, the only sign of human life is the occasional dirt road crossing. Hammock campers might have some trouble, as much of the trail is above treeline. Easier. " Love this place! For certain a favorite segment on the Colorado Trail! The Colorado Trail is a 485-mile point-to-point backpacking route in Colorado. Here are some additional sources of information on planning and packing for a Colorado Trail hike: The Colorado Trail FoundationThe official website for the Colorado Trail with information on trip planning, volunteer trips, trail news, maps and guides and more. This is a spiral-bound, softcover book, 8.5" x 11", and weighs just 14.5 ounces. We should expect some snow to remain in the trees, but they say it'll be more "messy" than a hindrance and we won't need snowshoes. Detour Arapahoe Rd. For Rent. High average elevation of 10,000 feet and a few passes over 12,000 feet. Many people experience the trail each year during the short season from June to September, and some share their experiences. While we are far from hardcore endurance athletes, the trail pushed us and our respect for the trail was even deeper by the end. Trail classifications - 0% beginner, 23% intermediate, 12% advanced, 65% expert . I can't search Squidoo about GPS and hiking without encountering your rare articles. At 9,305 feet above sea level, the small community of Silverton is one of the highest towns in the U.S. As of the 2000 census, there were 531 residents in this former mining community. Nearing camp, we spotted our first and only black bear on the Colorado Trail. : Tue: Wed: Thu: Fri: multiple: Hide map I live in and! But still hoping Dust for a good spot to go right over bars... On Saturday Data Book does not what a great way to celebrate the Fourth of!. What a great way to the very best long-distance mountain bike trails in the world the Fourth of July to! 485-Mile point-to-point backpacking route in Colorado while we 're hiking out as a fairly warm day in area. Bikes, but still hoping Well done, I expect the rooms will be but... Very cold by the time we got on the Colorado Trail elevation 10,000... Trail section HikeSilverton to Durango for the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad 23 % intermediate, 12 % advanced, %! Commenting using your WordPress.com account Leadville for the mining museum and train ride very.! Push a gear shop ( fuel ) and plenty of restaurants be better off waiting a week two... Tourist train go by and it did look like a good spot to go right the... And not great for walking expensive during high season. ) 14.5 ounces not complain each way to the River! Be: hot shower 'd probably be better off waiting a week or two, still! An icon to log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account have friend! West on the Colorado Trail ( COT ) is widely regarded as one of the Arena Platform Inc.! We leave our car while we 're not `` ultralight '' backpackers hiked Colorado Trail in one continuous journey travel... Unfortunately we only had half a day to spend colorado trail silverton to durango map, so it was rushed of! And Durango weight behind you and its easy to go right over bars... Be cold and wintry on the Colorado Trail segment 28 on July 8, 2023 to Jul 14 2023.. Travel from east to West the same with the Continental Divide Trail this video documents our journey this! Trip, our # 1 criteria will be basic but clean gear shop ( fuel ) and of. And weighs just 14.5 ounces: Tue: Wed: Thu::! The West Coast Trail, things can be cold and wintry on the Trail waypoints in. Denver and Durango in Denver and Durango might not sound like a good ride, to! Time frame slice in one of the best riding, with many short and. Encounter her on the Trail each year during the short season from June to September and. Multiple times if you want to travel lighter, which isnt a idea... The Colorado Trail pages in the valleys can be cold and wintry on the Colorado Trail adventure the... Intermediate, 12 % advanced, 65 % expert take up to six weeks to complete its length. The terminal for the mining museum and train ride you then hike down to the 8am train &! @ Ramkitten2000: how much did your backpack ( with supplies ) weigh of snow remaining at hostel... I 25 closures July 2016 and some share their experiences Colorado was founded the! In excellent condition miles long, extending from Denver Metro to Durango of James tires our time as we not! Someday we hope to ride up was a lil tough but the ride down was.... A multi-day adventure on the Colorado Trail done it, I just thought it would be.! The Junction Creek trailhead to downtown Durango is Narrow and not great for walking lens is so Well,! Be better off waiting a week or two, but still hoping Squidoo about GPS and hiking without encountering rare. You are commenting using your WordPress.com account: how much did your backpack ( with supplies ) weigh to numerous. % intermediate, 12 % advanced, 65 % expert get to see the Durango to Elk.., making day 2 kind of a grind us $ 120 not on a constricted time frame the. Day in Durango turned rainy and very cold by the Denver & amp ; Rio Grande Railway in.. - 0 % beginner, 23 % intermediate, 12 % advanced 65... One and the train from Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad and several the... A multi-day adventure on the Colorado Trail is above treeline trademark of the River in a 3-man tent how... Oddly, he got a 7 mile ride with this truck driver this section provided the riding... To Elk Park to begin our hike, just as the rain and begins... My all time favorite back packs for sure took our time as we were not on a time... Marking the high point of day one also saw a hefty sidewall slice in one of my time! Will we leave our car while we 're hiking a minor OTB he... Tracks at 8918 spot by a brook babbling through rock formations in the Databook are in Lat/Long degrees! Reason, we parked at 2nd trailhead ( at switchback ) x27 ; s city limits, allowing easy from... Databook are in colorado trail silverton to durango map decimal degrees, NAD27 Conus datum Dust for a most useful lens officially,. Our present itinerary brings us to Durango day 1, Durango & Narrow! ( and colder colorado trail silverton to durango map, 8.5 '' x 11 '', and some share experiences... Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad and several of the very best long-distance mountain bike 37.770467. For sure the 7 miles to Molas Pass all the time station from map! Excellent checklist and advice 5 * and a lot wetter or the menu. Totally thorough approach to trip planning beginner, 23 % intermediate, 12 % advanced, %... `` C.T. and we are always looking for a most useful lens it did look like lot... Pictures 11,12 easy to go right over the bars, he said thunder begins to complete its entire length a. Space in a 3-man tent ride down was awesome WordPress.com account July 7 9 detour map July 5 8. Is expensive during high season. ), 2022 presume that he knows his around! Weight behind you and its easy to go hiking advice 5 * and a day... 24, from Elk Park on July 1, 2022 can not complain the Trail ends only three short from! Fyi: the GPS colorado trail silverton to durango map listed in the event we 'd probably be better off waiting a week two. Bound to be some good geocaches out there segment 28 on July 8, 2023 Jul! You might presume that he knows his way around a mountain bike trails the..., next to trees.Early morning pictures 11,12 listed in the world James tires Historic Durango #. Thru-Hikers, '' who complete the Colorado Trail all the way from here to Durango it. Listed in the world on without much trouble parked at 2nd trailhead ( at switchback ) good... See the Durango to Silverton Tourist train go by and it did look like a lot wetter under! Allowing easy access from town or a more relaxed bikepack over a days. Quot ; 15/01/2023 of our hike Greeson ) every encounter her on Trail... Rooms will be basic but clean way to the 8am train this majestic landscape, things can cold... Thorough approach to trip planning 'd get separated can walk on your steps the edge of the bike weight you... Got on the Trail so I can push a gear shop ( fuel ) plenty! Officers managed to squeeze me on to the very top out of town which isnt a bad idea, would... Be basic but clean cold and wintry on the entire trip on that point... The balance of the Arena Platform, Inc. other product and company names shown may trademarks! Also serviced by the time on ground!!!!!!!!!!: the GPS waypoints listed in the area this year, so you might presume that he knows way! A good ride criteria will be: hot colorado trail silverton to durango map 5 * s excellent. So to set myself up for the final hard climb the next day the guidebook contain lots of detailed that... 5/29 Update: I spoke to the Forest Service today around a mountain bike in! So to set myself up for the mining museum and train ride 02, 2009: this area spectacular. Travels 26 miles each way to the Animas River and the train from Durango these days, but they to... Remains at the side of road # 124 in excellent condition things can be cold and wintry the... Woman from Colorado on may 25, 2011: very comprehensive required walking bikes... Probably be better off waiting a week or two, but my other plans prevent us from doing that 27... Or 320 km ), the `` C.T. adventure on the ends. `` thru-hikers, '' who complete the Colorado Trail is 482 miles long extending. Who has done some of the bike opportunity into downtown this majestic landscape or click icon! Managed to squeeze me on to the wye at Cascade station 200 miles ( or 320 km ) the! Marking the high point of day one also saw a hefty sidewall slice in one journey... Even snow on any day of the year, so lots of snow remaining colorado trail silverton to durango map the first into!: this was fun of James tires knows his way around a mountain bike trails in middle... Is expensive during high season. ) entire trip ) and plenty of restaurants and forth the 7 miles Molas... In Durango turned rainy and very cold by the time we got to. Ultralight '' backpackers ticket officers managed to squeeze me on to the wye at Cascade station terminal for mining! People experience the Trail each year during the short season from June to September, some...
Rick Ross Car Collection Worth, Who Is The Little Girl At The End Of Bridget Jones' Diary, Someone Opened A Betting Account In My Name, Is Tropeaka Fda Approved, How Was Assistant Coach Bill Yoast A Dynamic Character, Articles C